Oceania News 2nd August
Items this week include:
- After twenty-one years at the helm of the Edmund Rice Centre WA, Stephen Bowman has retired. The Centre provides education-based services for people from refugee and migrant backgrounds and for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- The Edmund Rice Justice Trust New Zealand manages two Facebook pages: Edmund Rice Oceania Network and Edmund Rice Justice Aotearoa.
- Edmund Rice Justice Aotearoa-NZ Trust "Te Kapapa Whakaora" programme provides Restorative Justice facilitated meeting with post sentencing offenders and the survivors or family members when involving murder, where both parties are seeking a Restorative Justice facitiated meeting.
- The final report from the Listening and Dialogue stage of the Plenary Council which captures the voices of 222,000 people was recently published.
- The announcement of the Passionist Fathers new Leadership Team.
- Hits: 21
People are Not For Sale
ACRATH’s Government funding was cut last year and we continue to rely on your donations to keep working for those who are trafficked and enslaved.
Modern slavery exists in Australia today in various forms. Workers, from developing countries, are brought into Australia to work for very low wages, often in appalling conditions; girls and young women are being forced to marry; people, including children, in developing countries are working for little money, or are enslaved, to produce goods we use every day.
- Hits: 17
ERI Geneva Training in Human Rights and Advocacy
Participants in the recent ERI training in Geneva.
Back row (l-r):
James Debuo Der fpm (Ghana); Hagar Bebuur (Ghana); Cyprian Omoding (Kenya); Antony Omondi (Kenya); Felisters Mudenda (Zambia); Brian Bond cfc (ERI); Mia irassou (USA); Kate Bradley (ERI Intern); Joe Johnson cfc
Rex Oraiz (Philippines); Iris Frederick (India); Jeremy Seng (Australia)
Landing in Geneva International Airport to the sight of the snow-capped Swiss Alps, we were soon to learn the contrast between those chilly peaks and the warmth of the hospitality offered throughout our stay. The Genevan-based Brothers of Edmund Rice International opened their home to us for two weeks and kindly punctuated our stay with beautiful meals, guided tours and brisk walks through picturesque French and Swiss countryside.
- Hits: 76
Team from Edmund Rice Centre travelled to Kiribati
In April 29-5 May 2019 the Director of Edmund Rice Centre, Mr Phil Glendenning, Corrine Fisher and Maria Tiimon from the Pacific Calling Partnership travelled to Kiribati for a one week visit with 3 main goals
1. Meet with key people from the Kiribati government
2. Meet with key community members
3. Conduct Kiribati Australia Tuvalu Exchange Program training in conjunction with Kiribati Climate Action Networt (KiriCAN)
As usual on the first night of PCP arrival there were beautiful voices and amazing dancers with big smiles welcoming PCP team with a Kiribati traditional feast which is called Te Botaki ni Butimwai or a Welcome celebration. On Friday 3rd May PCP team ran a full day workshop on leadership, advocacy and climate change to 25 youths from different denominations and communities. On Saturday 4th May PCP team had the opportunity to plant mangroves as part of the adaptation with youth organised by KiriCAN.
- Hits: 30
Once again, this year at the Edmund Rice Centre for Justice and Community Education we have been busy and have exciting projects underway in our Refugee & Asylum Seeker area; our Indigenous programmes and our Pacific Calling Partnership. At weekly staff meetings all staff and volunteers hear something of the action in each team, but we can find ourselves focussed and busy within the “silos” of our own project.
- Hits: 55
CBR Certificate Level 4 Graduation
Community Based Rehabilitation Training
The aim of the program is to prepare participants (Inservice Teachers, Community Health Workers and CBR Field Workers) to acquire basic CBR skills to identify, assess and manage the children and adults with
disabilities in the communities and be able to make referrals to the nearest IERC or Health Centre for further diagnostic tests, treatments and/or rehabilitation.
- Hits: 65