Welcome to the “New Look” website
In the short term I recommend www.edmundrice.org.au as the other is just a short term fix until we can get our technectians to redirect that URL. It is still showing error messages as it is just a page on the “Old Look” site. I could not find out why that error message was appearing. I decided it would be easier to transfer the site to a different platform.
Advantages of the “New Look” sit are:
- It is fully responsive (i.e. it is easily view on any device from desk-top to phone).
- It has attempted to follow the look and feel of the Christian Brothers chosen Visual Identity.
- It is possible to allow any group or ministry to edit its own material.
- Editing is done through a web browser (i.e. from anywhere in the world with internet connection).
Choices taken in developing the site are:
The new platform has access to a wide range of features not available on the old site.
- The site is designed to give the “Big Picture” showing first the overview with the ability to work down. This makes it more suitable for the person who wants to know more about our operation rather than for the person who knows us well and is just looking for some particular detail.
- This is achieved by using a single level of menu (no drop-down) and then having a page which provides an overview of the main menu topic and windows which expand to give more details. Some of these expanded windows will expand further at the click of the mouse.
- Or for those who prefer everything on the one page there are two buttons which read “Open all Sliders” and “Close all Sliders”. These will open the page up to one long article and close it again.
- The person looking for specific data has a very good search engine and detailed “Contact” information. Both features may be accessed at the top-right of each page. As well as this there is a full content menu at the bottom of each page (i.e. a tree menu).
- The first page is currently reserved for news type items. This will succeed or fail depending on how many people provide items of interest. We are no longer publishing a newsletter to the wider network so I am hoping this may replace the newsletter. I will attempt to have at least two images for each item so would like images supplied with your article.
Some hints for ease of use.
While the responsive nature of the site allows you to view it on a wide range of devices it was designed to give the best results on a desk-top when the window width is reduced until the three buttons on top-right reach the Logo. The site was designed at that width to give the best visual balance. As window width is reduced the three buttons slide in under the left part of the header and a coloured symbol will apear. Clicking on this will produce a different kind of menu more suited to phones and small screens.
Back to Top
As these pages can become very long I have added a "Go to Top" button on each page.
It is fixed to the bottom-right of this and every page. It looks like "⇑" on a coloured background. Try clicking on it to see what happens.
Front Page Image Slider
The Front Page has an “Image Display” at the top. The image changes every seven seconds. Each image is associated with a story introduced on the page. You can prevent the displayed image from changing by simply hold the mouse pointer over the image. You can then change to another image by clicking on one of the numbers at the top right of the imager. Move the pointer outside the image to have the auto-change process continue. Clicking on the image will take you to the full article associated with that image.